Saturday, September 6, 2008

UPDATED - YIKES! He's Backing Into the Driveway...

And his birthday card isn't finished. Believe it or not, my husband's birthday is today and here I was without a card this morning. Fortunately, he went running with his buddies before I woke up and since they were running a 13-mile route (yes, THIRTEEN), I had some time. Turns out that I didn't have enough though as I couldn't figure out how to put the sentiment on. I finally just slapped it on as he was walking in the door.




How can I fix it? Yes, I thought about ribbon, Leslie, but only have 5/8" chocolate chip grosgrain and none of the bows I tried worked. I did have a thought a second ago...maybe natural hemp. I still don't know how to best layer/make the sentiment...HELP!



Thanks to your comments, I've come up with this version.



I'm still not 100% about the shape of the sentiment (feel free to add input as I learn so much from everyone's comments) but I do like this version.

Thank you!!!!

11 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

LOL! How did you know!?!?!? Let me ponder this one and thing of something else. ;-)

Leslie Hanna said...

think...think of something else. Too much coffee ...

Leslie Hanna said...

I love that background, and it would be a shame to cover it up. How about you take a short piece of that choc chip gg ribbon (he he) fold it and staple it (I hate staples, but sometimes you've gotta do it) under the left edge of the sentiment? It would stick out to the left (trim the ends really nicely) and add a little something without going too far.

Sorry I took the first three comments ... I am speeding from all the caffeine I've had.

Brenda Dean said...

Would you change the sentiment layering? I've tried the corner rounder, ticket corner punch, no punch...

Leslie Hanna said...

Have you tried trimming the brown layer under the sentiment and using the ticket corner punch on it, too?

Leslie Hanna said...

Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh! (Mr. Kotter, pick me!) What if you stamped one or more of the leaves in a light (or stamped off) color over the sentiment? I've done that before and it takes away the starkness of the white and adds just a little something extra.

Anonymous said...

I would go with cutting down the chocolate chip layer on the saying and using the ticket corner punch to match the ticket corner punch on the saying. I would also take the gg ribbon and make a couple of loops to go under the awesome leaf background.
Great job though!! I am sure he loved it.

Leslie Hanna said...

Ooooh, I like!!! ;-)

Leslie Hanna said...

Another option is to punch the sentiment piece using Designer Label shape and back it with both the 1 3/8" circle and Key Tag punch. It is a little more elegant look that may go better with that pretty background. Keep the ribbon, though ... nice touch. ;-)

Leslie Hanna said...

Like this one: http://thecrookedstamper.blogspot.com/2008/07/you-did-it.html

Anonymous said...

Awesome Brenda!!! I love what you did with it.