Sunday, April 26, 2009

Should I Just Throw This Away? - UPDATED 4/29

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I started out sewing on a die-cut piece of turquoise card stock, then I decided I'd had enough, so I cut off the one side that was stitched, and then it went downhill from there.

First I took a scrap of textured yellow card stock and punched it with a border punch. Then I added the yellow die-cut piece behind the turquoise. Then I looked for a scrap with yellow and blue in it, and I found that patterned piece of tissue paper. Then I added the Groovy Guava patterned paper to try and pull out the orange in the piece, and I mounted the whole thing on a piece of Basic Gray.

Then I rested.


Here is the piece next to a card so you can see the relative size of the thing.

So what do you think? Should I put it out of its misery and just throw it away? or does it have at least one redeeming quality? And if you think it DOES have a redeeming quality, would you please tell me what it is?

I thank you.



Update 4/29:

Thank you for all the suggestions. You were, of course, correct in thinking the yellow was WRONG, so it has been removed to the circular file. Is this one any better? (Personally, I think the blue in that paper is wrong for the turquoise stitched piece ...)

7 comments:

Kristin Moore said...

wow, that patterned paper is really pretty and so is the sheen in the thread on the stitched piece. For me I think the problem might be the yellow- it doesn't seem to quite match any of the colors in the patterned paper. Is there a chance you could switch it out for maybe a basic gray or neutral that is in the paper so as to not detract from the beautiful pattern? Then tie a coordinating solid ribbon around that scalloped piece and voila!?! I think you've got a really good start to something here and should definitely NOT throw it away. HTH!

Elizabeth said...

I agree with Kristen about the yellow being the problem here. The threads have the same colouring as that beautiful swirled pattern scrap (I think that's a Florentine type of swirl) with muted blues, greens, and reds as the main colours with gold accents.

I would pull out some card in one of those colours - perhaps the muted green and use instead of the yellow. A little sponging would also tie it in with the pattern.

Your last paragraph gave me a good chuckle - I've made a card or two that those comments apply to!

Heather said...

Don't throw it away! I have been so tempted myself by my own work.

I like the individual elements but it just seems busy and my eyes can't rest. First the pretty background paper, then yellow, then the turquoise with the stitching.

I like the idea of ditching the yellow and using green as Elizabeth mentioned. Keep the new layer simple- I wouldn't scallop punch the edge like you did with the yellow.

I'm eager to see what you try next.

Paula said...

The yellow is the problem for me. It just blares out and you and takes away from the string art. Try changing out the yellow and then see what happens. I believe it is worth saving. I like everhthing about it except the yellow.

Lindy Stamper said...

I like it....

Heather said...

Much improved card and with the yellow gone you might be right about the blue being a bit bright for the background paper. But it definitely looks better.

Brenda Dean said...

Much better. AND you got the signature Leslie-ribbon embellishment! The blue is a bit bright but it is also the focal point of the card. Might you be able to sponge or stipple it to tone it down a bit?