Thursday, November 29, 2007

Am I on the right track?

I only have 1 of this much coveted chipboard bracket. So before I start painting/ altering it, I need to know if I am on the right track as far as my layout. I am happy with the background and the focal image, but I am just not sure what to do with the empty space so I tried the bracket. I am open to any and all changes because nothing is nailed down (or glued down!)

I have tossed 14 cards in the last 2 days because they either had a critical error (smudging, mis-cut, etc.) or they were just so bad and so ugly that I put them out of their misery. Please help me get my mojo back!

UPDATE 12-02-2007
I took this in a different direction. Definitely improvement! Thanks for your help.

6 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

I am biased to Ribbon over chipboard, but that's just me. Guess I never got my chipboard mojo at all!!!

Maybe line up the alphabet with the bracket? What about another "office"-type embellishment over the alphabet. Do you have any of those mini library clips? Or maybe just 3 brads in a row.

And trace the bracket (or do that later with the hole left behind) onto a cereal box for more brackets.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you're on the right track! I agree with Leslie that you should line up the image with the bracket. The image also needs some more contrast of color, as it blends in a little too much with the background. Maybe try another darker layer behind the polka dotted paper. Or you could try stamping the image in a darker color. It all depends on what color you paint the bracket. When you move up the image, try placing the bracket so it's overlapping the image a little and see how that looks. Keep trying out some more things and let us know how it goes!

Alhambra Club said...

Oh my you tossed 14 cards, that is not good. I am an off center kind of person and I would move the alphabet up a little so that is is higher on the card and somewhat over the bracket.

Kristin Moore said...

Hi Heather. I agree about moving the alphabet piece a bit away from the corner. If you make the bracket slightly red like the background paper I think it would look really sharp maybe overlapping the main panel.

One thing I'm confused about is what type of card you will be making it (birthday, holiday etc.). I think knowing that would help determine what needs to be adjusted. In any case, maybe adding another embellishment (like Leslie mentioned) that would help explain the type of card some, even if it is just a sentiment saying "Thinking of You" or "A Happy Hello" etc... I don't know, maybe I'm just not crazy about the alphabet stamp.

Anonymous said...

I have a fw of those chipboard if you want them. I'll mail them your way.

Leslie Hanna said...

Oooh, I like it!